What is Linux?



Linux is a Unix-like computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open source software development and distribution. Simply it is an operating system like windows or mac using which you can talk with your computer.
To know more about Linux in general read the wiki page here
How to learn Linux
There is nothing called learning Linux. It is just getting used to Linux. We will get a lot Linux like operating systems in the market. Here we are talking based on RedHat Enterprise Linux. So if I say “Linux” it is “RHEL” ok?
Go through my notes page by page and try practicing them in parallel. It will help you for sure.
Note: my notes are based on RHEL 6
As these are my class notes, I will follow the chapters of RHCE certification course. Starting with System Administration 1[SA1] then System Administration 2[SA2] and finally System Administration 3[SA3].
Okey, Let’s start with the first chapter of SA1.